Awards and Nominations
- Pirates won the 2013 American Alliance for Theatre and Education (AATE) http://www.aate.com Distinguished Play Award
- Nivelli’s War was nominated for Best Production for Children and Young People in the 2015 TMA Awards.
- The Borrowers was the winner of the Best Production for Children and Young People in the 2014 TMA Awards.
- Missing – The
German Children’s Theatre Award was awarded to Charles Way
in December 2010 for his play Missing (Verschwunden). This is the most
important German prize for dramatic literature for children and is endowed
by the Federal Republic of Germany.
The play was commissioned by Consol Theater in Gelsenkirchen in Germany and
first produced in November 2008 in Co-operation with Theatre Iolo, Cardiff. The prize is worth 10.000 Euros.
The play was selected by the jury out of 153 applications. The jury explained its decision as follows: “Missing” is a courageous and extraordinary play regarding both its topic and its formal structure. Charles Way has succeeded in writing a contemporary version of the fairy tale of “Hansel and Gretel” which is turned into an explosive and contemporary story about poverty and neglect and their illustration by modern media. The German Children’s Theatre Award 2010 is given to a play which gives a strong and persuasive impulse for new writing in the field of children’s theatre.”
The prize was given to Charles Way on 2nd, December 2010 in Frankfurt/Germany by State Secretary Josef Hecken from the Ministry of Youth of the Federal Republic of Germany. In his speech he underlined: “We strongly believe that dramatic literature and theatre for children is a substantial part of aesthetic education for children and young people. For this reason our Ministry will continue to support new writing for Theatre for Young Audiences.”
- Sleeping Beauty – nominated as Best Play for Children and Young People by The Writer’s Guild of Great Britain 1994.
- The Search for Odysseus – nominated as Best Play for Children and Young People by The Writer’s Guild of Great Britain 1995.
- A Spell of Cold Weather – winner of Best Play for Children and Young People by The Writer’s Guild of Great Britain 1996.
- Playing from the Heart – nominated as Best Play for Children and Young People TMA Theatre Awards 1998.
- Merlin and the Cave of Dreams – nominated in the category of Outstanding Play in the Helen Hayes Awards Washington USA 2004.
- Red Red Shoes – winner of The Children’s Award from Arts Council England 2004.
Writer in residence
Charles Way has been a resident writer with the following companies.
- Theatre Centre 1980
- Gwent Theatre 1983/4
- Orchard Theatre 1992
- Sherman Theatre + BBC Radio Wales 1994
Three puppetry plays commissioned by the Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, Tutor Bettina Reeves, Director Emma Williams, Music Lucy Rivers.
- Legend of the Golden Swans (2009)
- Death and The Nightingale (2010)
- White Sail, Black Sail (2011)